If you choose to publish a book without the help of a publishing company, you may pay anywhere from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars to publish your book, depending on the choices you make.
If you decide to publish on your own, you will have a range of options. You can use a free publishing service to publish your book digitally and/or in print. You can also purchase other self-publishing services to print, distribute and store your book.
When you think of the old school, painstaking process of pitching a book to publishers – or the success stories of stubborn authors who wrote hundreds of book proposals before finding a company willing to take a chance on a new author – those are traditional book publishing companies.
A publisher’s job is to find books that are likely to sell well and execute contracts with their authors. Once a publisher has signed a contract with an author, the publisher begins the process of printing the book and preparing it for sale.
Self-publishing companies are companies that assist authors with the process of publishing books on their own. These companies help with printing or digital preparation, as well as the distribution of works.
- Authors can easily reach millions of readers
- E-books and paperbacks are free to publish
- Writers can publish their book in a few days
- Go to kdp.amazon.com and create a free account
- Create a new title from within your dashboard
- Enter your book title and subtitle when prompted
- Add your book description
- List any contributors, including yourself
- Add your author name
- Verify your publishing rights
- Select an age range if needed
- Select your book release option
- Upload or create your book cover
- Choose a DRM setting to control share-ability
- Upload your book in an acceptable file format
- Convert your book into Kindle Format
- Verify your publishing territories
- Set your pricing and royalty
- Tips for maximizing sales
- Save and publish your book
- Watch your book go live within 12-48 hours
Many self-published authors have used Kindle Direct Publishing, and quite a few of these authors have written online reviews. Most authors who have published using this service are happy with the result.
As with a book published traditionally, the amount of money you can make from a self-published book depends on many different factors. If your book is highly successful, you may earn thousands in profit.
When writing a book proposal, you will need to explain what your book is about. However, this should not be the primary focus of your book proposal. The publisher will care more about selling the book than its topic.